Use Of Courthouse Grounds
The Use Of Courthouse Grounds Application Policy requires that all parties seeking to use the Porter County Courthouse grounds for any purpose must seek approval of the Porter County Board of Commissioners. The Courthouse grounds are defined as the areas inside of the perimeter sidewalk that surrounds the courthouse square, excluding the areas which are off-limits for security reasons as highlighted on the map below. (If the applicant also seeks to use any part of the sidewalk or streets surrounding the Courthouse square, they must also seek approval from the City of Valparaiso Board of Works.)
All parties seeking approval MUST complete and Submit An Online Application To Use The Courthouse Grounds and provide any documentation or images requested by the Commissioners. The online application includes:
- The name, address, contact name, phone number and email address of the organization or group seeking use of the grounds.
- Detailed explanation of the purpose for the request.
- Date(s) and time(s) of the activity or event, including any set up or tear down.
- Description, sizes and photos (if available) of any signs, banners or other display items to be utilized and how they will be displayed.
- Description and purpose of any audio system to be used for the event.
- Description and sizes of any tables, tents or booths to be used for the event.
- Anticipated number of people involved in hosting the activity or event.
- Anticipated number of visitors expected to attend the activity or event.
- The desired section of the Courthouse grounds that is requested for use.
All online applications for use of the Courthouse grounds MUST be submitted at least 7 days prior to the date of the Commissioners’ meeting at which the request is to be considered. You can find dates of upcoming Board Of Commissioners meetings at the bottom of this page.
Any parties making a request MUST appear in person at the Commissioners’ meeting at which the request is to be considered. If any party fails to appear at the meeting, the request will be denied and the requestor will have to reapply if they wish to be considered at a future meeting.