Road Funding

The Porter County Highway Department's road preservation projects are primarily funded by two sources:

  • The county's share of the per gallon fuel tax collected by the state of Indiana and allocated to each county;
  • Community Crossing Grants through the Indiana Department of Transportation.

While some of the cities and towns in the county collect wheel tax on their residents, Porter County does NOT assess a wheel tax on residents who live in the unincorporated areas of the county. Wheel taxes that are collected by our cities and towns are used for maintaining their own streets and roads and are NOT shared with the county.