Children's Immunization Program
This program provides childhood vaccines to children 0 to 18 years of age. We continue to offer vaccines to all children regardless of their insurance status.
- Uninsured children
- Underinsured children
- Children insured by a publicly funded program (Medicaid, Hoosier Health Wise)
- American Indian and Alaskan Native children
- Children insured by private insurance (whether it pays some or all of the fees for vaccination)
Children insured by private insurance must have their parents contact their insurance company and determine if our insurance billing program (Physicians Services of Indiana through Michael Harper, M.D. of Sellersburg, IN) is in their insurance company's network.
Parents then need to ask the insurance company if the needed vaccines are covered by their insurance program or if coverage has been maxed out for the year. These specific questions will be asked at the time an appointment is scheduled.
Accepted Insurance List
Parents may need to pay for vaccines at the time of the visit if the private insurance plan covers vaccines, but the insurance company is not in our network. Our vaccine carrier continues to negotiate with many insurance providers who are not in our network. If your insurance company is not in network this month, make sure to check again before the next appointment to see if that status has changed.
When to Vaccinate
The Porter County Health Department follows the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization practices) approved schedule for childhood vaccination.
The infants and children vaccine schedule is as follows:
- 2 months
- 4 months
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 15 months
- 18 months
- 4 to 6 years of age (known as "kindergarten vaccines")
- 11 years of age (or the spring before entry into the 6th grade)
We can work with special situations including children who are behind schedule in their vaccinations.
- Valparaiso Office: 219-465-3525
Children's vaccine clinics are offered Monday and Thursday of each week by appointment.
- Portage Office: 219-759-8239
Children's Vaccine Clinics are offered Tuesday and Friday of each week by appointment.
Helpful Points to Remember
- All vaccinations are by appointment only.
- Bring your child's complete shot record, showing all immunizations received since birth, to every appointment.
- Complete the Child Vaccination Consent Form (PDF) prior to your appointment (1 per person).
- Public or private insurance card is required at every appointment.
- If covered by private insurance, verify that our vaccine provider (Physicians Services of Indiana: Michael Harper, MD of Sellersburg, IN) is a member of your insurance network before scheduling an appointment.
- If covered by private insurance, verify that the vaccines for your child's age are covered by your insurance plan. Consider asking: are all vaccines covered, are some vaccines covered, or are there dollar limits on coverage? Be ready to share this information when scheduling your appointment.
- If covered by private insurance and your insurance plan is not in our network, be prepared to pay for vaccines at the time of your visit.
- Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. If the parent or legal guardian cannot bring the child to the appointment, an adult 18 years of age or older may bring the child to vaccination appointment with a written, dated, and signed authorization form (PDF) from the parent.
- We accept cash, American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover. However, we are not able to accept checks.